Day 09 – More Ruins

After breakfast, we headed straight away to Maeshowe.  They book the tours of the tomb, so we could have been out of luck.

Of course, we were not.  We got there at 9:45, just in time for the 10:00 tour :D

Again.  All I can say is amazing.  Unfortunately, we weren't able to take pics inside the tomb.  But seeing the original carvings made by the Norse invaders and even being able to touch them..   I'm just speechless.

After a good browse in their gift shop (I've now got lots of guide books on these places), we headed down to the very end of South Ronaldsay to see the Tomb of the Eagles (also called the Isbister Chambered Tomb).  This was a stone age tomb that seemed to be used by a people that either revered or worshiped the local eagles.  We got to touch some of the items found in the tomb.  And then, after a mile long walk along a very, very windy coastline, enter the tomb itself.  On the way to the tomb, was another site - a bronze age mound called the Liddle Burnt Mound.  Lots of confusion on this one as to what its purpose was, but its a really neat site.  Of course, we had our own opinions:  Kay feels that it was a sauna/steam/sweatlodge type and I think that it was a council house.

Once we got to the Isbister site, and I saw the size of the entrance, I knew I couldn't do it - it was way too small for my claustrophobia.   So I'll add some of Kay's photos of the interior to mine.  I got shots of them getting out of it :)  Then the long, very blustery walk back.

We had a late lunch at an absolutely wonderful little bistro and decided to go back to Kirkwall and see if there were any other shops we wanted to look through.

After Kirkwall, we drove back over to the Stenness stones for me to do my oath.  It was still very VERY windy, so I was actually quite glad that I wasn't using a paper script (I'd loaded it on my palm pilot to help me remember).  As it was, the weather conditions were not the best, but I didn't back down.  I was doing it here and that was all there was to it.  So I pocketed my bottle of Stag's Breath that I was using for my sacrifices, my palm pilot, and handed my camera to Brad.  I walked over to where there may have originally been a henge, but it was missing some stones.  I stood between the two stones, and made my oath.  I'll be writing more about it later, this is just a quick "yes, I did it".

We ended up making it a very early night, which was ultimately good, since we had to get up early to catch the ferry back to Scotland.